Director Of Content
About Us: Company Ventures is a venture capital firm designed to support the next generation of entrepreneurs seeking to build with purpose. Notable portfolio investments include: Kafene, Season, Common, Maven, Lolli, Knock, Hero, Eden Health, Anvyl, Hilma, Oova, Nomad Health, Timescale, Cohero, Carta, Oso, Centivo, Octave, Vowel, Minim.
Company Ventures is best known for Grand Central Tech (GCT), our annual no rent, no equity early-stage startup residency hosted at the Company Building, a one-of-a-kind, vertically-integrated tech campus purposefully built for the innovation economy. Since its inception in 2015, GCT has graduated 130 companies who have collectively raised $1.9B and include leading brands in nearly every sector.
About the Role:
We are a small but mighty team, punching above our weight. We’ve just raised our second fund, and operate a number of core programs including Grand Central Tech for NYC’s best pre-seed startups, and The City Fellowship, a partnership with NYC government supporting entrepreneurs of color and women founders in addressing the issues of economic equity and climate action. We have big ambitions, and are motivated to both make the smartest investment decisions and live by our values. We have a lot to talk about! We’re looking for someone to take the lead on bringing it all together - to create a cohesive content strategy for our team, to leverage our core competencies to bring out thought leadership and a clear point of view on our areas of expertise, and to execute well across various digital channels. We can’t wait to meet you!
Key Responsibilities & Competencies:
The Director of Content will report to the CEO directly, but will work collaboratively with all of us on the Company Ventures team. Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Building relationships across our team and develop a process for information flow across our organization in order to synthesize our work into a thoughtful and cohesive content strategy
- Develop and publish high-quality content from concept to production
- Work creatively across a range of digital formats including written content, photography, video and publishing on our website, blogs, newsletters, and social media
- Connect our work as a firm to our values and our goals through storytelling, extending our point of view, reach, reputation and thought leadership in the field
- Minimum of 8 years experience in editorial and content leadership role
- Experience leveraging content for marketing and brand positioning - demonstrable expertise with achieving brand lift via adept use of social media.
- You’ve had one or more of the following experiences:Experience in the technology/venture capital ecosystem either at a firm, at a startup, or a startup ecosystem support organization Experience as a journalist covering business or tech Experience in a senior level communications role at a mission-driven business
This Role is Right for You If...
- You have a demonstrated passion for entrepreneurship, startups, VC or a relevant field
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills (of course)
- You have a track record for producing high quality content across channels
- You love collaborating and working in a team and yet take pride in delivering (on time) and having ownership of your work
- You have excellent planning and organization skills
- You thrive in a rapidly shifting work environment and love the dynamism of working on many early-stage startups and their founding executives
- You appreciate candor and believe that honest communication leads to growth and productivity
- You are eager to support a more just and sustainable tech sector
- You are committed to supporting greater diversity in the next generation of tech talent, and are committed to anti-racism and dismantling structural oppression
No requirements on education.
Salary and benefits:
Compensation: $150,000-$160,000 base salary depending on experience, plus an annual performance-based bonus. We offer full medical, vision and dental benefits, generous time off, flexible work and a gorgeous office for your in-person time.
Start date: June 1, 2022
Location and travel:
We are headquartered in NYC at 335 Madison, the Company Building. This position will require a minimum of 3 days/week in our beautiful office.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply here: Company Ventures Careers Job Application
Our Core Values
Our vision is to enable and align worthwhile intentions with ambitious growth. Our mission -- be the place to build for exceptional entrepreneurs in NYC. Our values drive our culture as a team and a community:
- Empathetic Excellence. Excellence is the moment where consistent execution meets a worthy task. We aspire to meet this moment daily, while acknowledging our role is always to meet all of our companies where they are, excellent themselves or not, and give them the support they need.
- Good Humored Earnestness. We are unapologetically seeking to influence how venture works at the earliest stages towards a better, fairer, more thoughtful outcome as we see it. We'll get where we're going with data, goodwill, and good humor, not browbeating.
- Care. A Lot. We will be good to one another and to the people we work with. We will take the time to ask people who they are and how they are. When external circumstances call for it, we will pause and check on ourselves, our community, and comment as necessary and appropriate to show solidarity in the moments that matter.
- Pioneering Spirit. We are a small team with a huge opportunity in front of us. We will get there by each member of the team adopting and retaining a spirit of ambition, adaptability and grit.
- Inviting. As a hospitality oriented organization we should be welcoming to our companies and guests, no matter their orientation, at all times. But we should actually go further. We should be inviting; deliberately seeking to craft in our company the spectrum of diversity emblematic of NYC.
Equal Opportunity Company Ventures is working to change the culture of tech for a more equitable and sustainable future. We are a purpose-driven business that's building a team that aims to reflect the diversity of our city. We welcome those who contribute various perspectives, talents, and passions to the work. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We aim to make Company Ventures a truly inclusive environment where merit alone is rewarded. We're most definitely an equal opportunity employer.
In our shortlist (our top 5 candidates), we are committed to having a minimum of 3 candidates who self-identify as female or non-binary and/or 3 candidates who are part of traditionally underrepresented communities in the tech sector.