Principal/Staff Software Engineer
Hello, we’re Knoetic (<-rhymes with “poetic” 😊)!
We've raised over $50MM from Accel, EQT Ventures, Menlo, and 100s of angels (like Adam Grant).
Why did these world-class VCs and angels want in on Knoetic?
Because we’re building a “brain” for Chief People Officers that enables them to build healthy, productive, equitable workforces – and ultimately shapes the future of work.
How does it work?
The “left brain” is Knoetic Analytics – the quantitative insights. We integrate with HR systems (HRIS, recruiting platforms, performance platforms, etc), ingest all that disparate employee data, manipulate it via a complex transform process, and then push insights back to the customer in a user-friendly way.
Chief People Officers use Knoetic Analytics to visualize their workforce, prepare for Board meetings, influence their executive team, workforce plan, uncover performance trends, and much more.
The “right brain” is CPOHQ – the qualitative insights. Chief People Officers join our executive community to tap the wisdom of their peers, find best practices, workshop pressing business challenges, and make meaningful connections. The role of the CPO has never been more complex, and CPOHQ is where they turn to inform the decisions that impact their employees.
By bringing Analytics & CPOHQ together, we give CPOs and their People teams a holistic view of what drives employees to come, stay, and feel valued at work. This is a platform unlike any other.
That’s where you come in!
We’re building a diverse team of Knoeticons who can thrive in our culture. If you're motivated to improve the work lives of millions of people as part of an ambitious and collaborative team, we'd love for you to join us on this ride :)
About The Role
We are building out our founding Engineering team, and are looking for a Staff or Principal Engineer to lead our integrations with HR tech systems. The number of, and quality of, our data connectors is essential for Knoetic’s success. This means you’ll be doing the most important (and arguably the most challenging!) work at the company.
This role will be the right fit for a talented engineer who’s been in a world-class data engineering and integrations environment, and is excited to roll up their sleeves and build a powerhouse Knoetic 2.0 - all while ensuring data quality for our end users.
Overall you will:
- Design, develop, and maintain scalable and robust data infrastructure and pipelines to support Knoetic Analytics
- Collaborate closely with engineers, product teams, and customers to define data requirements for new and existing Analytics offerings, and translate them into efficient data processing and transformation workflows.
- Implement best practices in data modeling, capture, quality, and governance to ensure the integrity, consistency, and security of our data assets.
- Optimize and monitor our data infrastructure and pipelines for performance, throughput, and reliability, proactively identifying and addressing bottlenecks and other issues.
- Stay current with the latest trends and technologies, continuously seeking opportunities to innovate and improve our data infrastructure.
Within your first week, you will:
- Onboard and learn more about Knoetic’s mission, culture, and values. You’ll write a User Manual and a Professional Development Plan outlining exactly how you want to grow professionally over the next 1-2 years.
- Understand Knoetic's tech infrastructure in-depth.
- Review existing ELT data pipelines and their integration with our partner APIs to identify areas for improvement and potential optimizations.
- Deploy your first Pull Request to production.
Within your first month, you will:
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to understand customer needs and define data requirements for new and existing workforce analytics, such as compensation, DEIB, spans of control, and attrition - and translate them into efficient data processing and transformation workflows.
- Design, develop, and maintain scalable and robust ELT data pipelines to support Knoetic Analytics.
- Implement best practices in data modeling, data quality, and data governance, ensuring the integrity, consistency, and security of our data assets, while complying with data privacy regulations (PII).
- Monitor and begin to optimize data pipelines for performance, throughput, and reliability, addressing bottlenecks and other issues to enhance the customer experience.
At three months, you'll be fully ramped! You will:
- Continuously innovate and improve our data infrastructure by staying current with the latest trends and technologies in data engineering, as well as advancements in HR tech systems and their APIs.
- Proactively identify opportunities for data-driven insights and collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop new features and enhance existing workforce analytics offerings.
- Mentor and support junior team members, fostering a culture of collaboration, continuous learning, and growth.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to troubleshoot and resolve complex engineering challenges, ensuring the smooth operation of our data pipelines and the satisfaction of our customers.
What we’re looking for
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years of experience in a world-class data engineering environment
- Data engineering or integrations experience
- Demonstrated comfort building applications using our backend tech stack (Go, AWS, Kubernetes, SQL, NodeJS)
- You pride yourself on being able to identify and address issues before they become problems, and are skilled at finding signals in the noise
If this sounds like an amazing opportunity for you, apply now, and let's shape the future of work together!
The key attributes we value in teammates:
- You like to win. You run through walls to achieve your goals, and you don't settle for participation trophies.
- You're intellectually curious, and intellectually humble. You approach problems with intellectual rigor, and with an open mind and ear. You’re not afraid to say, “I don’t know - but I’ll figure it out, fast.”
- You never say, “that’s not my job” - you take full ownership and responsibility over outcomes. You’re a force of nature that gets the job done no matter what it takes.
- You make everyone else on the team better. Your presence, positivity, and drive inspire others to step up their game. You put the company above your own wants.
- You’re known for your work ethic. You pride yourself on being one of the hardest-working person most people know.
- You’re constantly improving. You know there’s no such thing as perfection, and you’re always pushing yourself (and our company) to be better than you were yesterday.
- You’re confident that you are good, and humble to know you can be better: You’re honest, principled, smart, open to giving/receiving feedback, and focused on doing right for the company and doing right for the customer
In compliance with New York City Pay Transparency Law, the base salary range for this role, adjusted for level, is between $200,000 and $240,000 in New York City. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including level, skillset, experience, job scope, location, and current market data. This range is not inclusive of our competitive equity package.
Note - even if you don’t check every box in the job description, we still encourage you to apply!
Knoetic is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace, and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, or any legally protected status. If you’re missing a few qualifications or don’t have the exact experience listed above, you may still be the next right candidate for this role or another role we have open at Knoetic!
We look forward to hopefully meeting you soon!
Something looks off?