Brand Partnerships Sales Manager (Remote)
Sales & Business Development
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About The Role
The Athletic is seeking an experienced sales manager to help expand its Advertising business to be an industry leader. Reporting to the Head of Brand Partnerships, you will be a key member of our growing Brand Partnerships sales team responsible for driving ad revenue via client direct and agency relationships. In this role you will own the end to end sales process for new sourcing, developing, and partnering with new ad partners who want to get their brand in front of The Athletic’s audience across all platforms including web, mobile, audio, newsletters, and social media. Additionally, you will be responsible for maintaining and nurturing relationships with existing ad partners in order to drive renewals and support ongoing business.
- Serve as one of the Brand Partnerships sales managers on the Sales Team, helping grow our overall brand advertiser sales revenue via client and agency relationships
- Manage a book of business with ambitious individual and team quarterly and annual revenue targets
- Identify new ad partners that have a brand/product that is a strong fit with our listener base, and manage the navigation to the appropriate decision maker for each partner
- Drive advertising revenue across all of The Athletic’s key platforms and surfaces including web, mobile, audio, newsletters, and social media
- Define strategies and guide the account management teams in replying to RFPs and client opportunities including program, content, and media plan guidance
- Share partner insights and sales lessons across the team including new ad products and opportunities our clients are looking for
- Represent The Athletic brand well.
- 5+ years of digital ad sales experience, ideally with a blend of web/app, social media, and podcast sales experience
- Established agency and client direct relationships that you can leverage on day one
- Demonstrated experience building on a foundation that is already in place but enjoy having the freedom and flexibility to make things better: better sales tools, better communication, better processes, etc.
- Ability to work independently as an experienced individual contributor and as a team leader
- A passion for the sales process and the advertising industry
- A track record for being motivated by and meeting ambitious targets
- A self starter who is good at getting work done without someone looking over your shoulder.
- You are an excellent communicator over email, on the phone, and in person.
- You are good at working independently but enjoy being part of a team.
The annual base salary range for this role is $104,000.00 - $160,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
See more open positions at The Athletic
Something looks off?