Editorial Director, News (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
The Editorial Director's job combines an editor's innovation with an operations executive's practical focus. This position will be accountable for planning and executing The Athletic-style stories that speak to the biggest issues of the day. The focus will be to ensure that The Athletic is urgent and essential at all times. This role will also lead in elevating our live coverage and game experiences.
On a day-to-day basis, the Editorial Directorial, News oversees and manages the staff across all news platforms and is accountable for news across our leagues and elevating our live news and other games experience. This role reports directly to the Executive Editor and is a member of the editorial leadership team. They will assist the Executive Editor in focusing strategically on the articulation and growth of the digital footprint of news content.
- Collaborates with the Executive Editor in overseeing the daily operations of the newsroom.
- Works closely with the Deputy Editorial Director, News and other Editorial Directors across the leagues except soccer in editing stories for visual, audio and video, and digital print content across various platforms.
- Oversee a distributed team of journalists and editors.
- Manage and develop a forward-thinking staff, inspiring remote workforce and creating unified, multicultural, multi-national, diverse and inclusive teams.
- Oversight and production of big-picture special projects, which includes planning, coordinating and leading content that span across sites, national verticals or both.
- Oversight of our weekly or bi-weekly thematic packages, which are done in conjunction with our national and local editors and writers.
- Manage quality control efforts across content platforms.
- Provides oversight and is accountable for the US newsroom operating budget.
- Partner with various key stakeholders to ensure that company initiatives are defined.
- Communicate expectations and supervise work of direct reports, schedules staff and conducts performance evaluations in coordination with the Managing Editor(s).
- Assists the Managing Editor(s) in hiring and coaching of staff.
- Advise Executive Editor on day-to-day operations of the news department.
- Extensive knowledge of sports.
- 20+ years of journalism experience creating premium content across digital platforms, in a newsroom leadership role, and in breaking and live news.
- 20+ years of experience managing, hiring and developing a large newsroom staff.
- Excellent people management skills. Track record of developing strong and trusting relationships, managing a broad set of stakeholders, collaborating and building consensus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver on major initiatives, lead effective teams, and to oversee newsroom systems and processes.
- This is a remote based role in the United States.
The annual base salary range for this role is $230,000.00 - $275,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
See more open positions at The Athletic
Something looks off?